Thursday, July 03, 2008

Embracing Imbalance

I'm often encouraged to live a more 'balanced' life. Well-meaning friends, family, even a psychiatrist have expressed concern that I might burn out because I work too much. Their advice was based on a conventional assumption that work has to be interspersed with 'leisure' or 'down time'.
Making art encompasses everything I'm passionate about. It's something I would do – and have done – even if I had to hold down another job. If I didn't have to work for money, I would still live and work the way I do now. Art brings meaning to my life and I'd be lost without it. I've never burnt out from working too much but I've often fallen apart when I've stopped working. I get uncomfortable when my focus is distracted. I get depressed when I lose momentum.
I'm only just now beginning to hit my stride. If anything, I want to go faster, harder, and smarter. I'm making my dreams come true – and what could be better for anyone than that?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds reasonable to me,
when you put it like that!

:-)

Anonymous said...

Yay!That's just the spirit that has kept us close all these years. A Fire in the belly:)
I think I even still have a
"paint baby paint" poster somewhere!! k

ddrips said...

your body and heart always tell you what to do, I am sure you follow their advise when you feel like a rest. Glad of your success, live it out fully.